6 Training Options That Make Careersposted by Anna Mar, April 29, 2013
Have you ever had a day pass by without much progress in your career or life?
How about a week? A year? A decade?
If you really take a hard look, you're probably improving every day that you're given. That being said, all days aren't created equally.
There are days that feel like you're taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. There are other days when it feels like you're making decades of progress in a single afternoon.
That's exactly how professional training feels. You've probably attended training that feels like 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.
If you're lucky you've also attended training that changes everything. Training that permanently stretches your mind around new strategies that become core to your career and life.
Training depends largely on the instructor. The right instructor can make practically any topic life-transforming.
After the instructor, the topic is also important. When I write about soft skills there are certain topics that raise people's passions. They contact me and tell me about how an article, book, experience or training changed their life forever.
These 7 soft skills tend to trigger people's passions in this way. People will tell you that training in these areas has transformed everything for them.
1. Time Management TrainingAfter health, time is about the most important thing you have. Many people find that even minor improvements in time management skills bring a new universe of achievement and fulfillment.
more: 20+ time management techniques
2. Public Speaking TrainingNo less than 3 out of 4 people admit to a fear of public speaking. It's common to consciously or subconsciously avoid speaking in public.
Public speaking is associated with leadership and confidence. So many people fear it that we tend to hold those who master it in high esteem.
The ability to eloquently express ideas to a group is a priceless ability that tends to bring opportunity.
more: public speaking guide
3. Leadership TrainingWe're taught that leadership is a rare ability. After all, leaders run countries and companies. They stand out front where their faults might be noticed.
The reality is that we all need to lead. Leadership is about influencing and motivating the people around you.
more: leadership guide
4. Decision Making TrainingEvery decision you make changes your future.
Developing your ability to make effective decisions in an environment of constant change and ambiguity tends to be career transforming.
more: how to improve your decisions
5. Conflict Management TrainingConflict is an unfortunate aspect of business that can ruin your day or even disrupt your career and life.
Taking the emotion out of conflict with conflict management strategies can change your career for the better.
6. Stress Management TrainingWhen you're stressed it's hard to focus on anything else. Your performance drops and you start making mistakes in your career and life.
Even if you're not stressed, you may be subconsciously going out of your way to avoid stressful situations. For example, not speaking your mind in meetings for fear of being criticized or sparking conflict.
It's common for accomplished people to credit stress management techniques as a cornerstone of their success.
Facilitating icebreakers can be tricky. It's a good idea to have at least 3 or 4 icebreakers planned for your team building event. If one ice breaker crashes and burns move quickly to the next.|
You're not born with it. Sales can be learned. Why sales training is worth your time.|
Timid salespeople have skinny kids ...|
The fundamental basis of all soft skills.|